Travel to ‘The Scotland of East’ – Shillong, Meghalaya, India
Travel to the hills has been the most mesmerising experience after stressful days in bustling cities. Shillong is rich with its natural beauty, culture and heritage. The breathtaking views of lakes, hills, waterfalls, lush green surroundings, clean roads and delicious local food make Shillong the most sought-after destination for relaxing and exciting holidays.
How to reach Shillong
You can reach Shillong easily by flight, train, bus, local taxi or cab. The nearest airport and railway station is at Guwahati, Assam. From there it takes approximately 3 hours to reach Shillong via bus or a cab by well-connected roads and highway. Many hotels and guest houses can be booked at Police Bazar, though prior booking is a better alternative as Shillong has tourists throughout the year, so hotels are usually overbooked.
Sight-seeing destinations in Shillong
- Umiam Lake – This man-made lake is also called ‘Barapani’ by the local inhabitants. You can enjoy numerous water sports activities, water cycling, scooting, kayaking, boating and picnic along with your friends and family.
- Ward’s Lake – A man-made horseshoe-shaped lake with a lush green floral garden and colourful fishes is situated below the Governor House. The spellbound appearance of this beautiful lake garden while boating is the most thrilling experience.
- Lady Hydari Park – This park is named after the first Lady, wife of the Governor of Assam, Lady Hydari and has many orchids and flowers, bamboo bushes, splendidly designed and well-cared. This park is one of the most excellent picnic spots, where children can have fun visiting the mini zoo, the butterfly museum, and a kid’s area to enjoy swings, slides and see-saw.
- Shillong Peak – This is the highest point of Shillong and is the radar point for Eastern Air Command of the Indian Air Force. The enthralling landscape of the city, its lakes, hills and forests linger deep in your mind, particularly the lights during the evening hours.
- Elephant Falls – One must visit the Elephant Falls and witness the milky white waterfall running with its gushing sound silencing the cacophony of the external world. It’s tough to resist the trail below through rocks, pebbles, small bridges, and caves where the water flows down to join a lake. As you ascend you can spot a few local vendors selling handicraft items and souvenirs.
- Golf Course – Shillong golf course is located at an altitude of 5200 ft high and is the first golf course of India with 18 holes and heaven for the golfers also known for its beautiful view.
- Shillong Matri Mandir – This ancient Hindu temple is dedicated to Goddess Kali and it is situated at Golf Links, Shillong.
- The Cathedral of Mary Help – It is a beautiful church in Shillong with its stained glass windows and high arches located in Laitumkhrah.
- Bishop and Beadon waterfall – The twin waterfalls can be viewed from the Beadon-Bishop View Point near Mawlai. Bishop Waterfalls is a three-tiered fall from the river Umshyrphi and Beadon Waterfall is called as the twin of Bishop fall.
- Shillong Night Market – Police Bazar is the best street market after sunset for shopping lovers and street food lovers where you can shop woollens, handicraft items, gift items, keepsakes, etc. at a substantially reduced price. Savour the pineapples, peaches, pears and various local Khasi delicacies, momos, noodles from the food stalls, restaurants and hotels available there.
This hill station in the north-eastern part of India is a must-see place to visit during holidays to unwind and bask in the lap of nature. The clean air and lush green woods in the Khasi and Jaintia Hills of Meghalaya destress the mind and leave you fresh with magnificent remembrances to look back.